A barrow ( earth mound ) discovered in 1939 containing a Saxon ship 24 metres in length. The purpose of the burial is unknown as no body has been found inside . It is thought to have been a tribute to Raedwald the 7th century king of East Anglia. It contained many Saxon and foreign artefacts such as a gold buckle, silver plates, sword and helmet remains, axe, cooking utensils, spear heads, coins and others. There is a section devoted to Sutton Hoo.
© copyright Glen Ray Crack -
Battle - East Sussex - United Kingdom
Submitted 10th January 1998
1998 - 1999 - 2000 - 2001 - 2002 - 2003 - 2004 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 - 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015